Potato candy is a simple dessert that mostly consists of sugar. Add enough sugar to get it thick enough to be able to roll up.
- 1 small potato
- 6 to 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- Dash of vanilla
- Peel and slice potato into thick pieces. Boil and cook potato until tender. Mash potato slices until all lumps are dissolved.
- Add four cups of powdered sugar to mixture and mix until well-blended.
- Gradually add mo cups of powdered sugar until you get desired texture: a thick bread dough or cookie dough mixture.
- Place wax paper on countertop and sprinkle more powdered sugar on top. Roll out potato mixture until it’s about ¼-inch thick, then sprinkle more powdered sugar on top.
- Spread peanut butter on top of mixture. Roll mixture over on top of itself like a jelly roll until it forms a log with a swirl of peanut butter inside.
- Place roll in wax paper in the refrigerator to chill. When ready to serve, slice into ¼-inch slices and plate.
- While peanut butter is the tradition, you can add other ingredients such as Nutella, compote or crushed nuts- be creative- or be traditional.
Credit: Candace Nelson WV Culinary Team