Another super-easy appetizer that plays well on any alfresco summer table
- 12oz pizza dough or naan flatbread
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced (I used bartlett)
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Prepare dough as needed if making homemade.
• Preheat oven to 400ºF and line baking pan with parchment paper.
• Pre-bake rolled out dough for 10 minutes if using homemade.
- Start making the balsamic glaze: In a small saucepan bring vinegar and sugar to a boil; reduce to simmer and stir frequently until mixture has reduced by half.
• Mixture is done when glaze coats back of spoon. Remove from heat and let cool before storing in jar.
- Meanwhile, heat medium skillet over medium heat and add oil to pan once hot.
• Add thinly sliced onions, stirring frequently until translucent and fragrant.
• Add thinly sliced pears to the skillet to soften just slightly – about 2 minutes.
• Place onions and pear slices on flatbread, add crumbled gorgonzola and chopped walnuts.
• Bake pizza at 400ºF for 10 minutes.
• Top with arugula and finish with balsamic glaze. Makes 4 servings.
Credit: www.usapeears.org; Fit Mitten Kitchen,