What could be better than original Kentucky Bourbon Balls straight from the Kentucky Derby Museum Cookbook.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 box of powdered sugar (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons bourbon
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 ounces bitter chocolate
- Prepare this filling one day ahead.
- Start by softening the butter in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. Be very careful not to liquefy the butter.
- Mix the butter & sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix by hand for several minutes.
- After the butter & cream are mixed well, add chopped pecans & bourbon & mix all together.
- Feel free to add a splash more bourbon.
- Use a teaspoon as guide to create little balls on a waxed lined cookie sheet. Don’t forget to taste test before placing in the refrigerator overnight.
- On the next day, melt both sets of chocolates in a double boiler.
- Dip the chilled bourbon balls into the hot, melted chocolate using a skewer.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over hard to reach places on the bourbon ball.
- Place the finished treats on wax paper, adding a whole pecan on top of each.
- Refrigeratorate to harden.
- Serve at room temperature & enjoy!
For more bourbon flavor, soak the pecans in bowl of bourbon overnight. Use Candy Chocolate Melts for best results.