Lemon and cornmeal give these pancakes a bright citrus flavor that tastes great with blueberries, raspberry jam, maple syrup, or simple butter and honey. Be sure to read the list of ingredients before you start; you’ll need potato starch and xanthan gum to make these pancakes.
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (whole-grain preferred)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (grated rind) or 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
- Whisk together the first six dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs, melted butter or oil, milk, and lemon. Whisk into the dry ingredients. The batter should be thinner than regular pancake batter; if it’s not, stir in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk, or enough to thin the batter.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes, while you preheat your griddle.
- Preheat your griddle to medium-high; if you have an electric griddle, set it to 350°F. Grease the griddle.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons batter at a time onto the griddle. Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes, until their tops are bubbly, their edges look dry, and their bottoms are golden brown.
- Turn over and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot, with butter and syrup.
Prep: 8 mins Bake: 10 to 30 mins Total: 20 mins Yield: 18 medium pancakes (3” to 4”)
Courtesy of King Arthur Flour