Butternut Squash – feel free to buy a whole butternut squash, peel it, dice it and remove the seeds. Or you can buy already peeled, cubed butternut squash in the produce section or frozen on the freezer aisle
Apples – I used fuji apples for this recipe, but other types of apples can be used if you’d like!
Spices: Ground cinnamon, Ground nutmeg, Allspice, Ground cloves
French bread or baguette
Ricotta cheese or goat cheese
Fresh sage leaves
Balsamic Glaze – order it online or find it at in grocery stores near the balsamic vinegar.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Toss the butternut squash and apples with 2 tbsp olive oil, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ½ tsp kosher salt and ½ tsp black pepper.
- Place in an even layer on a baking sheet and into the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the squash and apples are roasting, brush the sliced bread with 2 tbsp olive oil, set aside.
- Combine the ricotta cheese with the remaining ½ tsp black pepper and ½ tsp kosher salt, set aside.
- In a small skillet, add the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and sage leaves, saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and toss with the squash and apples when they come out of the oven.
- Place the slices of bread into the oven for 4-5 minutes, or until toasted to your liking.
- Remove the bread from the oven and top with the ricotta cheese, then the roasted squash and apple mix.
- Drizzle with the balsamic reduction.