Summer is the stuff of dreams. The days seem to last forever from early morning dew drops to the very last firefly of the evening. It’s a slow, easy time made up of nostalgia, romance and wonder. The perfect time to celebrate family, nature, life and freedom.
If you want an exquisite cake perfect for adults, try this recipe for a very patriotic presentation.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1-1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 -3/4 cup Limoncello, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9×13 cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Set aside 18 of the best blueberries and 18 raspberries for decorating the top of the cake.
- Place the remainder of the blueberries in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dry ingredients. Toss gently and set aside. This is done so blueberries don’t sink to bottom of cake.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons Limoncello, Add the dry mixture and combine completely.
- Batter will be stiff. Add small amounts of Limoncello until batter is just pan spreadable.
- Fold in 1 tablespoon zest and berries.
- Carefully add batter to prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool pan on rack and drench several times with Limoncello to taste.
- With a wire whisk, stir together powdered sugar, 1/4 cup Limoncello and 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
- Drizzle over cake, and spread for even consistency.
- Decorate with berries.
- Cool completely before serving.
Don’t be surprised when there isn’t a crumb left. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Serves Approximately 35