A little bit of tart combined with a lot of sweet. These Stylish Chocolate Macaroons make a beautiful display for guests.
Store them in a tight container and eat them within a few days before the chocolate begins to bloom.
- 1/3 c. butter, softened
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5 c. flaked coconut, divided
- 48 chocolate kisses**
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and stir well. Stir in 3 cups of coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes until it’s easy to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Roll dough into small 1-inch balls and roll in the remaining coconut. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Immediately press a chocolate kiss** into the center of each cookie. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
**Here is where buying a better grade of chocolate will make all of the difference. While chocolate kisses are great in cookies and delicious eaten by themselves, they are no substitute for pure, high quality chocolate. Visit www.gourmetcandymaker.com to find the best chocolate kisses or chunks that you can afford.