During strawberry season, every cook should have a compote handy – especially this strawberry compote recipe. Spoon over everything from pancakes to ice cream!
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, washed, patted dry and sliced
- 1 cup sugar, less if you prefer
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries, sugar and liquor.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the fruit is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth.
- Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the remaining sliced strawberries. Mix well.
Makes 2 cups.