Enjoy this classic Strawberry Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups dices fresh strawberries
- Whole strawberries for decoration as desired
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup strawberry puree (Fresh or 1 cup thawed frozen strawberry & 1-2 tbsp water in blender)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Pink food coloring
*Room temperature ingredients are ESSENTIAL for this recipe.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three 8-in round cake pans.
- Whip four eggs whites in mixer until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whipping to maintain soft peaks. Pour whites into large bowl (This was about 5 cups in volume after whipped) and set aside.
- Without fully cleaning the mixer bowl, cream room temperature butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and almond extract. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift together 3 cups flour, baking powder, & salt. Alternatively add flour mixture and 1/3 strawberry puree to batter until fully combined. (Flour, 1/3 cup puree, flour, 1/2 cup puree, flour). Add food coloring to achieve desired color. Batter will be thick. You should have 1/3 cup puree LEFT OVER. (This will be brushed on cake later)
- Fold in egg whites.
- Coat diced strawberries in 2 tbsp flour and gently add to batter. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If using two 8-in cake pans, bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove cakes from oven and use a pastry brush to spread remaining strawberry puree over warm cakes. Cool until ready to assemble cakes.
TIP: If you want to use all of your strawberry puree IN the cake, feel free to brush cakes with a simple syrup after they have baked. This is a dense cake, so it does need the additional moisture added.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Shredded coconut
- Beat cream cheese and butter together.
- Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat until creamy.
- Add the vanilla or coconut extract and heavy cream and beat until smooth.
- Frost cake and cover with shredded coconut.
TIP: Turn mixer on high and let it go for 4 minutes to get some air into the frosting.