- 4 large Honeycrisp or Gala apples
- ¼ cup lemon juice, preferably fresh
- ¼ cup pecan or vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup mushrooms, fine dice
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 ½ teaspoon Pine Street Market Summer Spice or poultry seasoning, divided
- Salt & pepper
- ½ pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth or apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all four apples, combine lemon juice and enough water to cover apples.
- Slice top off each apple and remove cores. Using a small ice cream scoop or melon baller, scoop apple out leaving about ½ inch shell including skin. Dice the scooped out apple for the filling; you should have about 1 cup. Place whole and diced apples in lemon water with a plate or bowl on top to keep apples submerged.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and celery until it is just beginning to soften. Add mushrooms, garlic, spinach and apples to pan. Cook until spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon Summer Spice or poultry seasoning. Let mixture cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, mix ground turkey or chicken with remaining spice, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix to combine thoroughly. Add cooled vegetable mixture, mixing until evenly incorporated.
- Remove apples from water and allow to drain. Fill cavity with turkey or chicken mixture, mounding to overfill. Place apples in an ovenproof dish. Pour chicken broth or apple cider in bottom of dish, cover with aluminum foil and place in oven. Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Depending on size of apples, this should take 60 – 75 minutes.
Allow to rest 5 – 10 minutes and serve warm.