Why would you buy store-bought eggnog when you can make this simple O’Keefe Family Eggnog recipe at home?
- 4 eggs*
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon, rum or brandy**
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to taste
- In large bowl, beat the eggs on high until they lighten in color.
- Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and liquor. Continue to beat on high until the sugar is completely dissolved. Here the liquor and sugar are meant to “cook” the eggs.
- Add the milk, cream, and nutmeg. Beat on low to combine.
- At this point you have 2 choices, chill overnight to let flavors expand. Or chill for one hour and serve.
- To serve, stir in whipped cream and ice cream. Sprinkle top with cinanmon.
* To avoid the slight risk of salmonela, use shell eggs that have been treated to destroy salmonella, by pasteurization or another approved method.
** The O’Keefe family likes their eggnog a bit strong therefore adding all 3 liquors to taste.