This indulgent recipe, is simply perfect for the Holidays. We omitted half of the champagne buttercream icing to try the “naked cake” trend, and kept it simple with a gold candle and a few sprigs of greenery.
• 3 cups all-purpose flower
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 6 egg whites
• 2 cups champagne
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (or cut parchment paper to fit).
2. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder + salt. In a mixing bowl beat butter and sugar 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla and beat in the eggs one at a time.
4. Beat in flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions, starting and ending with flour to prevent curdling.
5. Pour batter into pans and bake 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool and then frost the middle and top layer only with Champagne Buttercream Frosting.
Champagne Buttercream Frosting
• 3/4 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1/4 cup champagne
• 1/8 cup whole milk
• 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
In a mixing bowl beat butter 1 minute. Gradually add the powdered sugar, champagne, milk and vanilla and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
Decorate for the Holidays and enjoy!