Super easy, healthy, and incredibly delicious, this cozy red lentil soup is seasoned with Mediterranean spices and a touch of harissa for some kick! This naturally vegan and gluten-free soup is perfect for chilly evenings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- Harissa paste, to taste (optional)
- Fresh chopped cilantro or parsley, for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander, and sauté for another minute, until the garlic becomes very fragrant.
3. Stir in the lentils, broth and tomatoes.
4. Bring the liquid to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and allow to continue simmering, uncovered, until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Thin the soup with some water if it becomes too thick while simmering.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and harissa (if using). Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Ladle into bowls and top with parsley and/or cilantro.