These lovely Honey Crisp Apple Roses, from Thanna Chadwick, make a delightful addition to any occasion.
- 1 large apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of my secret spice (allspice)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use cooking spray on metal muffin pan and dust with white sugar.
- Place apple slices on a plate, overlapping slightly if necessary. Microwave on high about 45 seconds, just until slices have softened a bit. Cover plate with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.
- Mix together sugar, allspice, & cinnamon in a bowl.
- Roll puff pastry sheet to less than 1/8-inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut two 3-inch by 12-inch rectangles. Reserve remaining pieces for another use.
- Spread melted butter over dough; top with a generous amount of spice-sugar. Place apple slices along 1 long edge of dough, about 1/4 inch beyond edge of dough, overlapping slices slightly. Fold bottom half of dough over the apple slices to form a long “folder” of dough with rounded edges of apple slices exposed.
- Beat egg and water together in a bowl. Paint surface of dough with egg wash. Sprinkle with more spice-sugar, to taste.
- Starting from one end, roll dough not too tightly to form a rose-shaped pastry. Seal roll with end of dough strip.
- Transfer roses to pan. Sprinkle with a little more spice-sugar. Place directly on middle rack of preheated oven.
- Bake until well browned, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven, cool 5 to 10 minutes. Remove apple roses from pan and finish cooling on rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.