If you just want to be thoughtful, fill a Christmas mug with these holiday mint patties and give it to someone you care about.
It’s the perfect way to tell them to have a sweet day!
- ¾ c. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- 4 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 3 c. semisweet chocolate chips**
- 2 tsp. shortening
- In a large mixing bowl, combine condensed milk and peppermint extract. Beat in enough confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time to form a stiff dough that is no longer sticky.
- Form into 1-inch balls, then place on waxed paper and flatten with fingers to form patties. Let patties dry at room temperature for two hours, turning once.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with shortening, stirring often. An alternative method is to microwave on medium at 30 sec intervals. Remove from heat.
- Dip each patty into chocolate and let cool on wax paper. Decorate with drips of melted mint colored white chocolate.*
**Here is where buying a better grade of chocolate will make all of the difference. While chocolate chips are great in cookies and delicious eaten by the handfuls, they are no substitute for pure, high quality chocolate. They contain a high concentrate of vegetable fats in place of cocoa butter, yielding them great for high heat recipes but unsatisfactory for the “melt in your mouth” experience of fine chocolate. Visit www.gourmetcandymaker.com to find the best chocolate you can afford and how to prepare it for dipping.