Enjoy this elegant Grilled Scallop Stuffed Tomatoes, perfect for any occasion.
These Grilled Scallop Stuffed Tomatoes look and taste sophisticated yet is simple to prepare.
- 8 sea scallops
- 8 small to medium on-the-vine or garden tomatoes, cored and hollowed
- 1/4 cup prepared refrigerated pesto
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large scallion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- /4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 large Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Light a grill for medium-high heat.
- Toss the scallops with the pesto, let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until the butter turns a nutty brown color, 3 to 5 minutes, swirling the pan now and then.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, scallion, salt, and pepper. Brush the butter mixture generously over the inside of the tomatoes.
- Put bread in food processor and process to crumbs.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of the butter to the skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and cook until toasted golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese
- Brush the grill grate and coat with cooking spray.
- Grill the scallops until grill-marked and no longer translucent in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side (about 120 degrees F internal temperature).
- Stuff a grilled scallop into each seasoned tomato.
- Pack the bread crumbs on top of the scallops.
- Grill the stuffed tomatoes directly on the grill grate with the lid down until warm, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve 2 tomatoes per person on a bed of the lettuce leaves.
Tip: Ask for “dry” or unsoaked scallops from the seafood counter. Soaked scallops are too wet to develop a crusty brown surface on the grill.