These moist scones have delicate crunchy, golden-brown tops. We like to add dried fruit to these, but leave it out if you prefer.
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pats
- 3/4 cup diced dried apricots, raisins, or cherries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a divided scone pan, or grease (or line with parchment) a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the flour or flour blend, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg.
- Work in the cold butter till the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the dried fruit.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla till frothy.
- Add to the dry ingredients, stirring till well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky.
- Drop dough by the 1/3-cupful into the scone pan or onto the baking sheet; if you haven’t added dried fruit, use a slightly smaller amount of dough, about 1/4 cup. Let the scones rest for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the scones with sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, till golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving. Best enjoyed warm, with butter and jam.
Prep: 17 mins Bake:18 to 22 mins Total: 55 mins Yield: 8 scones
Courtesy of King Arthur Flour