Another abundant summer crop, Okra is often overlooked, although lately the hippest restaurants have added crispy grilled Okra as appetizers and sides.
And cooking okra on the grill yeilds a crunchy delight with absolutely no slime!
OKRA BASIC PREP
- Prepare the okra by slicing each one down its length, stopping just short of the top. This helps the okra cook more evenly and creates more crispy bits.
- Toss the okra in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- If your grill grates are so wide that the okra might fall through, use a vegetable grilling pan or spear the prepared okra on skewers like kabobs.
- Heat a grill to med-high to high heat.
- When the grill is ready, spread the okra out in a single layer over the grill (or in the grill pan). Cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cover and flip the okra to grill the other side. Continue grilling, flipping as needed, until the okra are evenly grilled on all sides, another 3 to 5 minutes (5 to 7 minutes total).
- Transfer the grilled okra to a serving plate and serve with the chipotle sauce. Okra is best if eaten immediately, while still piping hot from the grill.
ADDING THE TWIST
Sprinkle and toss with your favorite spice or just salt and pepper.
Add a squeeze of lemon or lime for brightness.
Or pick your Style:
Asian – Sprinkle with Shichimi Togarashi and dip in Ponszu Sauce
Cajun Style – Sprinkle with Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
Southwestern – Sprinkle with Mrs Dash’s Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle in adobo, roughly chopped (seeds removed, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine in a blender or in the measuring cup of an immersion blender.
- Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Taste and add more adobo sauce, lime juice, or salt, to taste.
- Transfer the sauce to a small serving cup.
Red Curry Lime Dressing
- Mix together
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Brush with some of the curry dressing and grill until the okra is sizzling, about 1 minute.
- Drizzle the okra with the remaining dressing and serve.