Cheesy, pasta filled soup made with Italian sausage; is the perfect pairing for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 16 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half and half, heavy cream or whole milk
- 29 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded Gambilin Mozzerella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
1. In a large pot fill with 6 cups of water and cook pasta according to package directions.
Once pasta is completely cooked, rinse with cold water and drain. Set pasta aside for later.
2. Using the same pot, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil. Once heated add sausage, onion and garlic; cook until sausage is completely cooked through.
3. Drain grease from sausage and set sausage aside.
4. Place the same pot over medium-high heat and add chicken broth, whole tomatoes – squeezing the whole tomatoes with your hand so that it breaks them up as you are pouring them in the pan, diced tomatoes, Barilla marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and heavy cream. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add in sausage mixture, butter, 2 cups shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
6. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining shredded Mozzarella cheese.
Stir in the pasta, top the soup with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and Italian seasoning and serve immediately.