These chai-infused cookies are a spinoff of the classic almond snowball/Russian teacake. Delicately sweetened cookies are the ideal base for the rich, sweet, spicy glaze that gives them their festive look.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at cool room temperature, 65°F to 68°F
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chai spice, or 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/8 teaspoon anise (optional), 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- For extra almond flavor and texture, add 1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted almonds.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chai spice, or 3/8 teaspoon ginger, 3/8 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
To make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) two baking sheets.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chai spice.
Weigh the flours, or measure them by gently spooning them into a measuring cup and sweeping off the excess. Beat the almond flour followed by the all-purpose flour into the butter-sugar mixture.
Scoop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough — a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here — onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2” between them.
Bake the cookies for 13 to 16 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.
Remove the cookies from the oven and place the baking sheet on a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely right on the pan.
To make the glaze: Combine all the ingredients, stirring until smooth and adding enough milk to make the glaze drizzle-able, but not too runny; molasses consistency is good.
Drizzle or pipe the glaze over the cooled cookies.
Store the cookies, well wrapped, at room temperature for several days; or freeze (unglazed) for longer storage.
Prep: 20 mins. Bake:13 to 16 mins. Total: 2 hrs 6 mins. Yield: About 33 cookies