This Broccoli Parmesan Chicken Soup is a quick cooking and vibrant soup that the whole family will love. It’s a cozy (and healthy!) one pot meal ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 heads of broccoli, or broccoli crowns
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 32 ounce carton of chicken broth
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, you could substitute sharp white cheddar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cooked chicken breast, I used a rotisserie chicken shredded
1. Set a pot of water to boil on the stove for blanching the broccoli. Meanwhile cut the broccoli into small florets, and thinly slice the tender, upper stems.
2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot and sauté the stems, onion and garlic for about 8 minutes, stirring often.
3. Plunge the florets into the pot of boiling water for about 30-45 seconds, then immediately drain and rinse briefly with cold water before proceeding with the recipe. I love how it sets the bright green of the broccoli.
4. Add the chicken broth to the soup pot, and bring up to a simmer. Add the broccoli florets (reserving about 2 cups for garnish) along with the spinach. Bring the soup back to a boil, then gently simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and lemon juice.
5. Puree the soup, in batches, in a food processor. You can also use an immersion blender, but it will take longer.
6. Return the soup to the pot, add the cream, and bring up to a simmer, then taste to adjust the salt or add extra cheese if you like.
7. Ladle the soup into bowls garnished with the reserved broccoli florets and shredded chicken. Give each bowl a shower or Parmesan cheese and fresh cracked black pepper and dig in.