Crispy bacon, perfectly cooked shrimp and corn are the ultimate comfort foods in this creamy chowder!
- 5 slices Hickory Smoked Wright Brand Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 2–1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish, if desired
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry the bacon pieces until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain off fat from pot, leaving 1 tablespoon.
2. Add shrimp to the pot and cook until pink (about 3-4 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and add to the plate with the bacon. Leave juices in pot.
3. Add onions and garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent.
4. Add paprika, crushed red pepper, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
5. Add corn, chicken stock and half and half. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender, blend about half of the soup until creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, blend 2 cups of soup at a time in a blender and pulse until creamy. Return to pot and stir well.
7. Serve with shrimp and sprinkle with bacon pieces.
8. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.