This simple yet complex Apple Red Raspberry Upside Down Cake dessert recipe is perfect for the Apple Season!
- 3/4 c butter softened and divided
- 1/2 c firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 honey or agave syrup
- 2 large Gala apples peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 c fresh raspberries– or use the ones you froze over the summer! *Blueberries, Blackberries or Cherries are also acceptable
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ c unbleached cake flour (like King Arthur’s)
- 1 c superfine sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a lightly greased 9”round cake pan (sides should be 2” high) over low heat
- Remove pan from heat and sprinkle with brown sugar and honey/agave
- Arrange apple slices in concentric circles over the brown sugar…over lapping decoratively as needed
- Sprinkle raspberries over the top
- In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and ½ cup of butter at medium speed using a hand mixer until blended
- Mix flour and baking soda together and add to sugar mixture alternating with the milk and ending with flour
- Blend well and stir in vanilla
- Spoon batter over fruit
- Bake 45-50 minutes until wooden toothpick comes clean from the center
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes
- Run knife along the edges and invert onto serving plate
- Spoon any topping in the pan on top of the apples.
Serve warm as is or with Creme Fraiche or vanilla ice cream. Serves 8. Enjoy!
Recipe Provided By:
The Farm Table Restaurant
138 Spring Street
770. 855. 3754
Thursday–Saturday, Lunch: 11am – 2pm
Friday Dinner (mid-June): 5pm – 8pm
Saturday, Dinner: 5pm – 8pm
Sunday, Brunch & Old Fashioned Sunday Dinner: 10am – 2pm
Reservations recommended. Bring your favorite beverage, no corkage fee!
Cash or checks only.